- On The Mat with Olympians Mean Gene Mills and Andy Hrovat
- On The Mat: World bronze medalist Tervel Dlagnev & U.S. women’s national coach Terry Steiner
- On The Mat: Going Greco-Roman with National Team Coach Matt Lindland and Olympic medalist Jim Martinez
- World Champion Adeline Gray & UNI NCAA Champ Tony Davis go On The Mat
- On the Mat with Iowa State assistant Trent Paulson and Des Moines Regsiter writer Andy Hamilton
- 16-time national champion Wayne Baughman goes On The Mat
- On The Mat with new Air Force coach Sam Barber and USA Wrestling’s Craig Sesker
- On The Mat with Women’s World Teamer Alli Ragan and new Purdue head coach Tony Ersland
- On The Mat with World Teamers Brent Metcalf and Joe Rau
- Jason Bryant, Tim Johnson & Nick Marable go On The Mat
U.S. World Team Member Tony Ramos – Short Time Ep. 65
- Updated: June 5, 2014
Tony Ramos is just months removed from winning an NCAA Division I championship at 133 pounds for the University of Iowa. The three-time All-American and two-time finalist wasn’t even sure he was going to compete this season. But then while watching the U.S. Open in April, his fiancee talked him into competing.
The end result was a spot on the 2014 U.S. Men’s Freestyle World Team, which will compete at the World Championships in September in Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Ramos talks about how he got started in wrestling, having another Iowa Hawkeye Brent Metcalf on the team with him and what he’s going to have to do to prepare to be reach the podium at the World Championships.
Ramos even answers YOUR questions. It’s all coming up in Episode 65 of the Short Time Wrestling Podcast, presented by FlipsWrestling.com
Some of the questions covered in this edition of Short Time are:
- What’s your story with how you first got exposed to the sport and why you decided it was the sport for you?
- You had said in the post-tournament interview you weren’t sure you were even going to compete. You were considering taking the year off. You said it was your fiancee who kinda put the idea into your head. Explain that conversation and what followed.
- After the finals, I talked with Izzy Martinez. He’s been talking you up since you were in middle school and he’d said there were always doubters. First, what has your relationship with Izzy been like throughout the years and why do you think people have been doubting you?
- Your junior year, you pinned Jordan Conaway in the Iowa Penn State dual. That’s the loudest I’ve ever heard any arena in all my years of covering a variety of sports. Describe that moment.
- Hans Rockwell in Boardman, Oregon: He asks “If you could wrestle anyone who was not a wrestler and time isn’t a factor, who would it be and why?”
- Cody Arnold in Tracy, Minn asks: It seems like there was talk about you being a small 133-pounder and Matt McDonough was a big 125. Was a change in weights ever discussed? Once he graduated, did you consider the move down to 125 or had you grown out of the weight?
The Short Time Time Wrestling Podcast is proudly sponsored by Flipswrestling. Share your attitude and be heard at Flipswrestling.com.